Monday, December 20, 2010

Celebrating Malaysian Heroes - An interview with Loo Kum Zee

Malaysian for Sports managed to catch up with Loo Kum Zee , former Malaysian high jumper and till today remains the only Malaysian who have won a medal in high jump at the Asian Games. Hear what he has to say about his experience as a high jumper and also his thoughts on Malaysian athletics. His answers will BLOW your mind away ! JY has the scoop.


JY    : What got you started in high jump? 
LKZ : Actually, I started high jump quite coincidently during my school days when I discovered that I can actually win in the event at school level; that spurred my attention & interest to go further to test my abilities.

JY    : Who or What was your inspiration? 
LKZ : If we were to start from the beginning of my career which started in school, it was an accident as I said before; nevertheless, my inspirations were the urge to win in every competition I competed. That eventually made me feel good all the time in the eyes of everybody.


2002 Asian Championships

JY    :  The Malaysian athletics did not do well in the last Asian Games, why do you think so?
LKZ :  Rotten & Spoilt ! That's what I have observed through the years. The word ROTTEN is for the NSA & Officials/Coaches & SPOILT is for the athletes. However, during my days, such was also the scenario, especially after the setting up of Bukit Jalil etc. Why? Talent & development are too intense & concentrated, that they tend to provide the best to the youngster from day one without first analysing the full talent & what they can deliver. Thus in return we have athletes having the impressions that they are the greatest & untouchable ones. That's how it begins. 

Unlike my time as a junior some 20 years ago, we had to fight for our place to survive as an athlete. Compare to now, everything is provided for, but young athletes never appreciate but keep asking for more! And this is in contrary of the spirit of sport.

For the ROTTEN NSA & officials/coaches, congratulation to them that they were able to stay this long (some of them >30 years) in the scene where old thoughts & stone age philosophy still persist by not willing to accept changes, avoiding threat (rather than to face it, rectify it, adapt to it, making changes for the good of all).

JY    : Can you give us an example ? 
LKZ : Just give you a scenario, this morning, I attended the 1 Malaysia Run in Ipoh & to my surprise, the organizing committees were the Local Association & from there, I met all the 'OLD but unwilling to leave' guys still running the show. You know, as usual, they seemed to be friendly but in their hearts, I can feel their off-side of their thinking........like........Oops, lucky this guy is not in the working team nor the Association, otherwise, we would have a tough time! This actually was why I do not have a chance to be involved in athletics since my retirement in state or national level.

JY    : You're the winner of 5 SEA games gold medal, 1 Asian games bronze medal and also qualified for the   1996 Olympics. What's your most memorable time in athletics? 
LKZ : Winning in a major event, of course (as you mentioned). That was the moment of pride for me though. But the 2 proudest thing I want to reminiscent were that I managed to keep the flag flying and continuing the tradition of high jump gold in SEA Games for 5 times after Low Cwee Peng & since the year 1971 (but unfortunately, we lost the golden tradition with Hup Wei in 2005 SEA Games; which really upset me) & the only High Jumper who won a medal in Asian Games till today. I have nevertheless, 5 Bronzes for the Asian Track & Field Championship (ATF) in my pocket for year 1995, 1997, 1998, 2002 & 2003!

JY    : What have you been up to since retirement? 
LKZ : Since retirement, I had thoughts, many thoughts not to report back to my employer (Maybank) as I still fancied life being involved in sport (as a coach) because I am able to travel, enjoy life to the fullest (like all those corrupted ass), get paid for nothing (as there is no more athlete thus, training was not required), continue to enjoy all my sponsorship, having all my friends around that could make me feel superior on all times etc.[spoken in sarcasm] 

Nonetheless, chances faded away due to my outspoken attitude as what I reckoned was their fear that I am a pure 'Opposition' fellow who would oppress them. Time & time again my offers were turn down (from MSN) without my knowledge (done by someone who was powerful enough to convince the NSA & to convince MSN) that I had no interest at all in sport. Actually, at the time I learnt about it, it really pissed me off & finally after 1 1/2 years of trying & offering (by MSN) that had gone unsuccessfully, I decided to stay a calm life, concentrate on my work with my employer & try to enjoy life as a 'commoner'

JY    : Based on your observation, there’re reasons to be concerned. What’s your outlook for Malaysian athletics in the future? 
LKZ : Rome was not build in 10 years.....as Dr Mahathir had said, changes cannot be realized overnight; the same I have for Malaysian Athletics. It is the truth & no one is able to deny the fact. Changes need a lot of courage & support (from all sectors), motivation is lacking & therefore, sad to say, the outlook is basically 'NIL' for me!

JY :    Wow! Nil! For those who still aspire and harbour ambitions to represent the country in the future, any advice for them? 
LKZ : Advice? ok........if you do not achieve what you have targeted for in 5 years time, quit & do not waste time as athletics will not guarantee you a future nor a decent job, not to mention, a good way to survive! Why I say so, just look at where most of the successful athletes now (apart from those like Dr Jega etc)........they simply vanished in society & have you ever wonder how do they manage to survive?

JY    : Athletes nowadays can be spoiled when it comes down to training ; they prefer to train at the comfort of their home (Malaysia) . Do you think training in overseas produce better results? 
LKZ : Training overseas is very beneficial, but athletes who wants to excel have to really learn to become a ROBOT in order to achieve that & I would suggest that NSA to adopt 'orphans' from young & send them for a 10 to 15 years training programme cum competition overseas by not coming home but only for important competition with Malaysian flag on.

JY    : In your opinion, what's the most important element to succeed in sports? 
LKZ : Still the 3Ds Dato Khalid (our former MAAU President) mentioned; Discipline, Determination & Dedication. I have been practising it & it proved to be working well !

JY    : Do you think Asian athletes are inferior to westerner or those from the Caribbean islands in terms of genetics?And does it make a difference in terms of performance/results, how so? 
LKZ : For me, humans are the same. It's just a matter of the mind.  

JY    :  Last words? =) 
LKZ : Thank you for the chance to express my feeling here towards my beloved sport in particularly. I would like to also express my gratitude towards my employer, Maybank for supporting me through thick & thin by providing me a satisfactory job that I can manage to capitalized on in to improve my quality of life. But for athletes, still the same words, set your target/time frame for achievement & if you do not make it, leave it as tomorrow will be a better day if we work similarly hard.

1 comment:

  1. Kum Zee TQ for your frank Comments!. However, I guess those people at the Helm of Association are all Blind, Deaf and Mute! As long as you know that you tried your best to contribute, That is more than anyone can ask!

    Anyway take a break and enjoy your family life now. You did what you had done and it is time for others to do their part

    ReplyDelete