Monday, November 22, 2010

An interview with Malaysia #1 Darling - Nicol David

Malaysians for Sports managed to catch up with the squash queen and Malaysian hero, Datuk Nicol David in between her hectic schedule to find out what she’s been up. A truly inspiring and humble champion ! =)


The fastest way to the courts!

Celebrating Malaysian Heroes 
by JY


JY :  How did you start off in squash?
ND : My sisters, Lianne and Cheryl started playing first at our first public squash centre that was build by my father's friend in Penang then I joined them a year later at 5 years old.

JY :What / Who was your inspiration/motivation?
ND: It was more the enjoyment of the game that captured my interest and I saw that I was doing well too that got me motivated to keep getting better. 

JY: You've excelled with flying colours in squash as well as academically. With all the hectic training and tournaments, how did you manage to balance between racket and books? =)
ND: My parents were very supportive of me without putting any pressure on my studies and squash. When I had a squash tournament, I would give more emphasis on my squash; I also had good teachers and friends to fill me in with school work...and then when there are exams, I would take time off from squash and focus on my studies. Squash has been the best thing with my focus while I was studying. 

JY:If you were not a squash player, what will you be doing? =)
ND: I'll probably be another sports person maybe involved in another racket sport. 

JY :You travel very often for tournaments and being away from family and close friends , how do you deal with it? Who's your closest confidante in the squash circuit? =)
ND: It's the hardest thing to deal with but that's the only way to be the best you can be by staying away from your comfort zone. Sometimes I get completely into training mode and tournaments that it just keeps me going right through but the moment I realize that I'm about to head back home that's when I started thinking of home. Amsterdam has become my second home and there's a nice group of squash players here that train and travel together during tournaments. 

JY :What do you miss most about Malaysia when you're away? 
ND: My family and friends of course but being Malaysian, I do miss the food. 


JY :You have taken squash to a whole new level for Malaysians, how do you see the squash scene presently in the nation? 
ND: The squash scene has grown a lot since I was fortunate enough to get great support for squash during the time when the 1998 Commonwealth Games preparations came up in Kuala Lumpur. In Penang, my sisters and I were the only girls with a handful of guys playing in the juniors and now there's a waiting list from 250 kids wanting to join in. 

JY :What's your aspiration for squash or sports in Malaysia ?
ND :Malaysia could be the centre of squash someday where all squash nations around the world can come to Malaysia for squash expertise. Hopefully this will also transfer to other sports in Malaysia if one sport like squash can kick off. 

JY :Squash is obviously a big part of your life. When you're not playing squash, what are the things that you like to do to unwind?
ND: I do like to walk around town or the park on an off day or spend some time just doodling for fun. Also being in Amsterdam, I like to check out some festivals or concerts when they're on too. 

JY :You've been No. 1 for more than 50 mths. How does it feel to be on top of the world? 
ND :It's a great feeling being there but I know I have to do more always because it's never your place to keep. Everyone is gunning for that spot and I have to stay on top of things every time by working extra hard to improve myself in every way possible. 

JY :Thanks for your time Nicol. Good Luck in your upcoming tournaments !
ND : Thanks !!


**Photos thanks to Squash Stars

Nicol beats Udai Singh in Battle of the Sexes Part 2. She's super duper excited here because she was looking forward to this rematch after losing to him in the previous year.





No comments:

Post a Comment